MP3 Player

Sunday, December 25, 2011

How the Grinch Stole Christmas




Where do I begin? Well, it's a classic and the first Dr. Seuss adaptation we see. It's wonderful, both in story and design. Chuck Jones' crew was really on their A-game with this short (especially considering the not-so-stellar Tom and Jerry shorts produced by him at this point.). I really enjoy the animation here. Again, this is stellar looking animation for a 1966 television production and you can tell the artists put their damnedest into it. I hear Ben Washam co-directed this with Chuck and I think his drawing style prevails here too, epecially in some of those grimaces the Grinch makes. (He had very unique expressions in Chuck's WB cartoons) That's my guess though. It's probably someone else, but that's my best bet. ;)

Best. Smile. Ever!
The story is sweet, simple, and translates well into the animated medium. The acting and narration by Boris Karloff is admittedly an odd, but fantastic choice. After all, it's the Frankenstein monster reading a kid's book! How cool is that? Dr. Seuss' rhyme scheme is charming, the music is audible candy, and so is the famous song we all know and love! (I don't even need to say it. You know what it is!)

So here's my Christmas gift to all of you: you get to enjoy this Christmas classic here in the best quality I have. Again, Merry Christmas, and may all your New Year dreams come true.



And a bonus, my favorite holiday tune that perfectly describes Christmas.






No comments: