MP3 Player

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Drooler's Delight

This is one of my favorite Woody Woodpecker cartoons. No suprise, it also comes form my favorite director from Walter Lantz' studios, Dick Lundy. It's not just the jokes and the really loose animation from Pat Matthews that makes me like Lundy's cartoons. He really seemed to help put Woody at the peak of his cartoon career. I've noticed, not only does Woody look his best with Lundy, but also his voice has better acting to it. Before with people like Shamus Culhane, who also did some good Woody toons, his actor Ben Hardaway seemed to not have too much experience acting. Woody's voice with Culhane and before this cartoon seemed to lack emotion. Here and with other late Lundy cartoons, it's improving. Maybe Hardaway got lessons or something. Who knows?

Anyway, Drooler's Delight is a gem from this era of animation, and it's definitely worth the watch. After this, I think Woody gave a new meaning to "booby traps".


Here's a model sheet drawn by Fred Moore. (I think that's who drew this.)



EDIT: By the way, I've heard that Ed Love was the only one who animated this. He did a great job for being the only animator here!

No comments: